Page formatting is the layout of the page when it is printed on a printer. It includes page size, page orientation, page margins, headers and footer etc. page formatting is defined in page setup dialog box.
- Page size
The length and the width of a page of a document is called page size. Page size is very important in the formatting of the page. Page formatting changes according to the size of the page. Changing the size of the page can disturb the formatting of the whole document. It is better to set the page size before formatting it.
- Page orientation
The direction in which document is printed on the paper is called page orientation. The document can be printed on the paper in two ways. These are …..
- Portrait: portrait printing means that the paper is taller than it is wide. Most letters are printed in portrait orientation.
- Landscape: landscape printing means that the paper is wider than it is tall. Tables with a larger number of columns are often printed in landscape orientation.
Page orientation of document is defined in page setup dialog box.
- Header and footer
Header is text that is added to the top margin of every page. It includes document title or page number. Footer is text that is added to bottom margin.
What is header and Footer? Write the Procedure to Use this Option.
Header is the text that appears at the top of each page. Footer is the text that appears at the bottom of each page.
- Select View > Header and Footer from menu bar. The header and footer toolbar will appear.
- Type the heading in deader box.
- Click the insert auto text button to view a list of quick options available.
- Use other options on toolbar to add page numbers, current date and time.
- Click switch between header and footer button on toolbar to add footer.
- Click the close button on the toolbar.
Write the Procedure to Insert Page Numbers in a Document.
The procedure to insert page number in a document is as follows:
- Select insert > page numbers from menu bar. Following dialog box will appear.
- Select the position of the page numbers from the position drop-down menu.
- Select the alignment of page numbers in the alignment drop-down menu.
- If you do not want the page number to show on the first page, uncheck the show number of first page box.
- Click Ok.