Theme: It is a delight song in which the poet feels light as a feather in the bright sky. Everything seems to be in harmony with the poet who finds no hurdles or difficulties anywhere in this universe. He has good relations with beauty, living things, nature, the atmosphere and the natural phenomena of stars, wind, dawn, rain, moon and snow.
Hi is happy and content with the dream of all things, bright and beautiful, all colors that glitter in the rainbow. He is in complete harmony and has a good relation with everything. He is playful and light like the shadow of a child, the cold of dawn, the glitter of snow and the flame of fire. He is vivacious and full of life. The good relation of man with the earth and the atmosphere keeps him alive and active.
I am a feather on the bright sky
I am the blue horse that runs in the plain
I am the fish that rolls, shining, in the water
I am the shadow that follows a child
I am the eagle playing with the wind
I am a cluster of bright beads
I am the farthest star
I am the cold of the dawn
I am the roaring of the rain
I am the glitter on the crust of the snow
I am the long track of the moon in a lake
I am the flame of four colors
I am the hwole dream of these things.
You see, I am alive, I am alive
I stand in good relation to the earth
I stand in good relation to the lords
I stand in good relation to all that is beautiful
I stand in good relation to all that is fruitful
You see, I am alive, I am alive.
(N. Scott Momaday)
|Luster||Soft reflected light|
Exercise: Answer the following questions.
- What do you understand when the poet says, “I am the shadow that follows a child”?
- How can the crust of the snow glitter?
- What is the dream of the poet?
- What is the effect of man’s good relation with the earth and the lords?
- What the things that keep a person alive?
- Pessimism and optimism are two attitudes of a human being. They describe/depict the state of a person’s mind who is hopeful at one moment and in despair at another.
- Write down your opinion in a few sentences based on the theme of the poem.