What is star topology? Explain its working with diagram. Discuss its advantages and disadvantages.
All computers in star topology are connected with central device called hub. Star topology is mostly used in client-server networks.
Working of star Network
The sending computer sends the data to hub. The hub sends data to the receiving computer. Each computer in star network communicates with a central hub.
- It is easy to maintain and modify network.
- Adding or removing computers can be done without disturbing the network.
- Finding faults becomes very simple.
- Single computer failure does not bring down the whole network.
- It is more flexible than other topologies.
- If central hub fails, the entire network breaks down.
- It requires a large length of cable to connect computers.
- It is more expensive.
What is ring topology? Explain its working with diagram. Discuss its advantages and disadvantages.
In ring topology, each computer is connected to the next computer with the last one connected to the first. Thus, a ring of computers is formed.
Working of ring network
Every computer is connected to next computer in a ring.
Each computer receives message from the previous computer and transmits it to the next computer. The message flows in one direction. The message is passed around the ring until it reaches the correct destination computer.
- It is less expensive than star topology.
- Every computer has equal access to the network.
- Failure of one computer in the ring can affect the whole network.
- It is difficult to troubleshoot.
- Adding or removing computers affect the whole network.