In airline system, computers are used to control passenger aircraft’s and vehicles. Early aircraft were controlled by moving parts attached to the controls using cables. In modern, fly-by –wire system, electronic singles from the cockpit are sent to that adjusts the flight surfaces. Computer is embedded gives full information about its flight and seat reservation.
Computers are used in many colleges to provide the methods of teaching in different ways. The computer education is very familiar and rapidly increasing the graph of computer students. There are number of methods in which educational institutions can use computer to educate the students. Many computer-based educational programs software are available, which students can learn to read, to count, or to speak a foreign language. Software that combines the thrill of games with real information content is becoming more popular. Some organizations are using information technology in their employee training programs.
- Computer Aided Learning (CAL): Computer Aided Learning (CAL) could be described as the use of information technology to assist in the teaching and enhance learning process. Information Technology may be able to aid us in reducing the time spent on creation and maintenance of teaching materials (one ‘document’ for lecture material/reference notes/study aids). It is also reducing the administrative load associated with teaching and research.
- Computer-Based Training (CBT): CBT or Computer Based Training is a difficult term to adequately define because it encompasses various modes of instruction and has evolved from the simplest definition. An interactive learning experience between the learner and computer in which the computer provides the majority of stimulus, the learner must respond, and the computer analyzes the response and provides feedback to the learner. Computer-Based Training is about using computers to help train people. It is not necessarily about training people to use computers. Computer based training works, compared with traditional techniques; it can bring many additional benefits to any organization, their training department and their students. For example;
Students can readily acquire new skills at their own pace and at times that do not conflict with their work schedules.
Training times can usually be reduced
Retention of course material is usually greater.
Interactive, visually stimulating, easily absorbed and easily available material encourages students to undertake training.
Planning and timetabling problems can be reduced or eliminated.
Essential skills can be taught and refreshed whenever and wherever needed.
The quality and consistency of the training material is maintained throughout.
It is a highly cost-effective way to train large number of students, locally or at remote places.
Timely and high-quality training on demand leads to increased efficiency.
Compared to traditional classroom training methods, students using Computer-based training absorb similar material faster and retain more of the information they are taught.
Computer based weather forecasting depends on accurate collection of data from weather stations, airports, satellites, different sensitive devices (which are situated on huge towers and buildings etc) all around the world. Computer depends on building a model of hot, cold air, dry and humid air interaction, and how this is interactions are affected by land and sea temperature, season and so on. Once this is done, the data is collected on atmospheric phenomena over a region. The computer model then generates a forecast of how he air will change.
The necessary parameters can never be measured with total accuracy and it is impossible to make a perfect representation of all the factors that affect weather. Some businesses, however, are so dependent on the weather that they need constantly updated information. SPARCO Weather forecasting department offer analysis of live weather data, and provide help to make business decisions based on weather forecasting.
Fig 4.9 Weather_Forecasting
Nowadays many people have computers at home and it has become a necessity electrical home appliance used in home. Children play games, keep track of the stamp collections, draw pictures, play music, view movies and do some sort of reading and writing according to their needs.
A typical domestic system consists of a PC with a relatively small hard disk; printer, modem and CD-ROM drive etc. People can utilize computers for keeping records, making home budgets, using electronic mail and Internet services to learn and increase their knowledge. The uses of microprocessor technology in manufacturing of electronic home appliances like microwave, air-conditioning, washing machine, sewing machine etc., have completely changed our way of life.
Computer Assistance Simplifying Our Work Practices
Mostly people think that computer have a brain and can think and decide what to do , this is not true they are primarily machines, whereas the real thinking is done by human beings who feed the computers with information and program them to perform different operations. There are many reasons for using computers and some of these are listed below.
(a) Computers can work much faster than human’s work.
(b) Computers never get tired or need a rest.
(c) Computers can do jobs that it would be dangerous for human to do.
(d) Computers can store retrieve information very quickly.
(e) Computers never lose or misplace information.
Computers linked through communications systems offer major personal and business benefits to users like speed, consistency, precision, and reliability etc.
- Speed: Computer can perform calculations or process at very high speed in fraction of second like nano second or even pico second. Computer can perform complex calculations, recall stored information, transmit information from one location to another and move objects around a computer screen almost instantaneously.
- Consistency: People often have difficulty repeating their actions exactly, indeed, doing something once is not nearly as difficult as doing it the same way, and with the same result repeatedly. Computer excels at repeating actions consistently. Whether using a spell checker built into a word processor or playing multimedia animation for training purposes, a computer will carry out the activity the same way every time.
- Precision: In addition to being fast and consistent, computers are extremely precise. They can detect minute differences that people cannot see. In manufacturing an automobile, for example, the precise placement of a part as directed by a computer, may make the difference between long use and early wear. Computers excel in managing the smallest differences in being precise.
- Reliability: With speed consistency, and precision come reliability. When we know that the same procedure will be followed rapidly, consistently, and precisely, we can expect reliability of result i.e, we can depend on getting the same result again and again with any error.