We have already read that radiations are very useful in many ways for mankind. Radiations are being used in different ways in medical, agriculture and in some industrial units, but there is always danger of radiation hazards due to carelessness in its use. The problem is that these radiations are not visible and their adverse effects also do not appear at once. The cells of a human body are destroyed due to the ionization property of the radiations. Although this property is used to destroy the cancerous cells, but the use of radiations in a quantity greater than required, destroy the healthy tissues as well, due to which there is always a risk of cancer or of some other incurable diseases.
Symbol of radioactivity
Precautions to minimize radiation dangers
The most effective way for saving ourselves from the dangers of radiation is to use the radioactive materials carefully and also by using the instruments which detect the radiations.
- Since the radiations spread in all directions, so one should stay away from its source.
- During treatment the doctors should use the radiations for the minimum possible time.
- One should be very careful in using the radiations. After diagnosing the proper part of the body, it should be exposed to the radiation carefully by calculated amount.
- The nuclear waste must be buried in the desert far away from the colonies or in the sea.
- A thick wall of concrete may be built around the reactor in order to protect from its radiations.
- In order to find the intensity of radiations, film badge and dosimeter must be used. It also helps to find whether the quantity of radiation has not exceeded the required amount.
- The persons working in the laboratories, where radioactive material is available should get themselves medically checked regularly.
Category: 9th 10th